Friday, August 21, 2009

Exploration 7: Wikis

So, wikis. The big one, Wikipedia, I use all the time. Not as a definitive source, but a jumping-off point, a place to gather "facts" that I can confirm using more reliable sources. I find it to be extremely useful for library work and my own personal edification. I also enjoy some of the specialty wikis, such as the Battlestar wiki (for the show Battlestar Galactica) and Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki). The collaborative nature of wikis provides some built-in oversight and is great for gathering all of those tiny little facts that reside in the heads of fans all over the world.

I have also had success using our system wikis. I don't find them to be as instinctual to use as some other kinds of sites, but I almost always find the information I'm looking for after a few tries, and, increasingly, on the first try. They function like a shared drive for the whole system, and in that respect they're really great for sharing information quickly and efficiently. I use the Materials Management wiki a lot, to refresh my memory about the J series list, to find that memo that has that piece of information I KNOW I read somewhere 6 months ago, and to double-check collection policies. I think the system is using wikis well, and I'm happy to see that other departments are starting to use them too.

No comments: