Saturday, August 15, 2009

Exploration 6: Online Office Tools

Below you will find the very exciting and beautiful document that I prepared with the Zoho writer. I found Zoho to be pretty easy to use because I am already familiar with Microsoft Word. I think patrons who already know how to use word processing programs will be able to use these online programs without much trouble, but the ones who don't will be totally lost because there are a lot of menu options and things going on across the screen and it might be overwhelming to them.

I liked the idea of Microsoft Office Live and its ability to have multiple collaborators working on a document without having to email it back and forth. This could definitely be used in the library for committees and task forces, and for in-branch things like the programming committee, though we do tend to use the shared server for collaborative documents.

An office tool I didn't see listed here (perhaps it might not have existed when this training was created!) is Zamzar. Zamzar allows users to convert files from one format to another; you upload your file to their site, give them your email address, and tell them which format you want. They'll convert it and email the file back to you. I have recommended this several times to patrons who wanted to convert documents into pdf files so that they could send their resume to prospective employers in that format.

So, enjoy my little document below; you will see that I slaved and slaved over it for hours!

Capsgirl44

Oh boy, here I am writing a document in Zoho! I am supposed to type a whole paragraph. I didn't know there were so many online word processing/file-sharing programs! Some seem to be easier to use than others. I think 2.5 lines is a paragraph, don't you?

  • Old MacDonald
  • had a farm
  • e-i-e-i-
  • o

eenymeenyminymo
catch atigerby thetoe
if hehollerslet himgo
eenymeenyminymo

I like this shirt

3 comments:

Jeff Office Live Outreach said...

Thanks for mentioning Office Live Workspace in your blog post. You mentioned using Microsoft Word, so I was wondering if you have ever used the Office Live Workspace plug-in for Microsoft Word. The plug-in lets you save files right to your Workspace from Word or other Microsoft Office programs so that you don't have to go log into your Workspace every time you wish to save something online.

I hope this tip saves you some time!

Cheers,
Jeff
MSFT Office Live Outreach
http://workspace.officelive.com

chucky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chucky said...

Zoho and Microsoft Office Live are also two ways to get a virtual office that you can log into from anywhere. These applications are being used more by small businesses and people who don't have much money to burn. They are the most feature-complete of the web-based applications and incredibly easy to use.