Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Exploration 3: Flickr and Photo Sharing Communities

I've been using Flickr for about 2 years, and have uploaded nearly 30,000 photos during that time to my paid account. I did a bit of research about the various photo-hosting sites before deciding to use Flickr. I felt that Flickr was very user-friendly, and I liked that you could tag your photos and organize them into sets and collections. The various levels of privacy were also attractive to me. Some photos are okay for anyone to see, but some I only want friends and family to see; Flickr allows me to do that and it's great. I love the knowledge that, should something happen to my computer and my backup drive, I still have my pictures on Flickr's servers and can get them back again. Flickr recently added mobile and Twitter functionality so that you can upload a picture from your phone to Flickr and simultaneously tweet the picture to your Twitter account! Really fun, easy way to liveblog an event and give the folks at home some pictures to go with.

I think it would be great if AACPL had the money to purchase an unlimited account for the system. The organizational structure is certainly there--each branch could have its own collection, and you can put collections inside of other collections, so pictures from various events would be easy to find. Of course, there is the privacy issue and I don't know how that would work, but the potential is certainly there.

Overall, I find Flickr to be a terrific site, and one that I would highly recommend to others who want to store and share their photos easily and for a reasonable price. You can find me on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/capsgirl44/

No comments: